Skip to main content

First Semester Complete

And with that, it's a wrap!

As of December 18, 2015, I completed my first semester as a Doctoral Student at the University of Michigan. This semester had a steep learning curve and I came to the realization that I was suffering from a slight case of 'the burnout.'  My intention was not to enter a doctoral program after completing my Masters program.  The opportunity presented itself and I graciously accepted the challenge.  This was before I realized that it take me an additional month to complete my final internship.  This left me with no real break in between.  Couple this with moving into and furnishing a new place and Voila...BURNOUT!!

In light of my self-diagnosed disorder I procrastinated WAY too much during the semester.  Waiting until the literal last minute before beginning an assignment that I knew about months in advance.  Or studying a little too late in (and by a little I mean a lot too late).  I was disappointed in myself a couple of times throughout the semester and knew that had I planned my time out better I would have an end result that I was proud of.  Yet, I chose not to heed my own advice.  Let's not go into how many times I should have heeded my own advice, that's a dissertation in its self.

With all of this being said I accomplished quite a bit:

  1. I presented at NASSS (North American Society for the Sociology of Sport) in November.  A presentation that ended with the most incredible of positive musings from fellow conference participants.  My nerves didn't get the best of me (because Lord knows I was having a panic attack on the inside).  
  2. I started looking for ways to become active on campus.  Attending events and looking at organizations that I will allow me to grow not only as a scholar, but also as a Black woman.  
  3. I ended my first semester with a 3.80! I was aiming for a 4.00 but the those little minus symbols behind your A's make a heck of a difference.  
I am beyond proud of myself.  I am a Black woman in a program dominated by men and that has NEVER had a Black woman graduate with a PhD.  The journey I am currently embarking is an historic one.  I have to constantly remind myself that I belong and that my voice should be heard.  I am thankful for my experiences thus far and am excited to continue in 2016! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Untitled thoughts

After Bible Study last night something hit me; that I have the tendency to be apathetic about things that happen to me in life. I'm willing to just see what happens. Which at times can be a good thing but I have come to realize it hasn't been working for me. There are some things that I need to be more proactive about: 1. My relationship with God. See it's not just enough that I am saved. There is way more to being connected to God then going to church one day a week and telling people that I'm a Christian. While I'm not going to be perfect there are numerous things that I can be doing to strengthen and expand my faith. Beginning with what I do at home. I have always thought that it was possible to just read the Bible once maybe twice a week, pray when I was need of something and everything be OK. This I have come to realize is not true. In order to have the relationship with God that I desire I need to be in constant communication with the Lord. And this has to sta...

#RoadToCandidacy

The moment you've all been waiting for, or maybe not, either way it's here!! As of today at 7:44 am my Qualifying Exams are underway!! That's right, for the next 2 months I will be on locked down writing at least 60 pages in response to 3 questions. Send me snacks, love, luck, motivation, and things to do for fun times (because baby girl will need a break)! Hopefully my depression and anxiety are willing to work with me. With that I am off to get started on Question #1! #RoadToCandidacy

RIP

Yesterday, I found that my Aunt Lou (my grandmother's sister) passed. This is my first time dealing with the of someone so close to me. When my sisters and I spent summers in Detroit we spent a majority of our time with her. It has been hard for me to deal with mostly because my grandmother has lost both of her younger sisters. The only thing I can think of is that my grandmother being the oldest is going to be gone soon as well.